Thursday 19 October 2017

Third go at it.

Cannon movement patterns in Destroyer
Sometimes I'm too fussy.  I've been working on the shooting patterns on Destroyer - the game that's described in the Patent.  Two ships shoot at each other across a crowded room.

Doing it efficiently and reliably has taken me some time, and I actually chucked away two previous working versions. But I'm happy with number 3 and it seems to work reliably.  It's fiddlier than it looks in COP444 assembler when you are trying to fit it into about four bytes of ROM. Not only do you have the varying pattern at the top, but you can't fire on row 1. All this takes precious memory.

Having said that all that's left of Destroyer is to add the collision detection and the scoring and to make the opponent firing slightly more sensible. (It just has bodge test code at the moment) and the fill percent is still only 54% of the ROM. I had the same thing with Microvision Space Invaders, worrying about memory space and ending with half of it unused.

In other, er, news, I've tweaked Outlaw. It's now the same game, except the player controlled is on the left hand side, which I think is more normal. Destroyer has the player on the left by default.

I'm presuming all the '2 player games' are turn taking rather than firing at each other, there's only one set of controls ....

No comments:

Post a Comment